Tuesday 29 January 2013

trying my hand at abstract...

Well, its not always easy getting time for blogging....especially being a Mummy to three kiddies, 2 of which are still enjoying school hols. First and foremost I am a Mum, wife and homemaker so life can get a little busy.

Starting...base colour.
Yesterday was such a lovely rainy day, long overdue, especially after all the hot/dry weather lately. (Was probably most appreciated by all the firemen/women). Strangely enough now there are reports of flooding all up the East coast....crazy weather.
Anyway, so we spent the afternoon at home yesterday and I was so motivated to have a go at an abstract painting...rainy days can do that.

The kiddies were all happy, Chris was happy (and even went to our little local store and bought me another batch of colours to add to my paint collection.)

Anyhoo, heres a few pics....including a few different sources of colour inspiration for my artwork, just so I could tie it all in together for our lounge/dining areas.

Ash often likes to join in as soon as I pull out the paints, how can I say no.

I have quite a few favourite artists too and I find I am inspired and influenced by many. But my stand out faves are probably local Australian artists like Leisa O'Brien, abstract artist Andrew O'Brien (dont think they are related either?) and overseas artists like Kristen Fountain Davis, Rien Poortvliet and even the odd master, eg Monet, Van Gogh, etc

My colour palette inspiration....




Beaus playmat, photograph by Michael Scott Lees and a fave cushion!










Here is the finished product....altho, give me a day to look at it and I might still tweak it a little....





















I think every artist battles with self doubt, still not entirely sure it should be up on the wall, but I do love the colours and I guess thats one thing about abstract art, there is no right or wrong and I think it comes down to how you feel...afterall beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

anyhoo...till next time.

3 comments:

  1. You are a great painter Deahne, dont doubt yourself.
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You gave it a go and based it on your inspirations- that's what art is all about...Rachel Reitsma

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it once again you have inspired me to have a go too!

    ReplyDelete