Monday 21 January 2013

dining room

Our dining room is a special place, so many happy & special family moments, meals shared, reflections on our days, stories told, etc.

Our table is made from recycled timber, (I figure with a family its a good idea...I didnt want to be worrying about the table finish constantly), now little imperfections just add to the character. We had matching chairs originally but I thought there was a whole lot of timber going on!

I love the look of mismatched chairs, but didnt want it to look to "busy" either, so I painted them all white gloss, a safe choice I think.

Then the wall alongside of the table was a perfect place for a family photo gallery. An assortment of some of our fave pics are framed there. Starting from Chris and my wedding day....I just blu-tac'd the frames so that they could be easily arranged/rearranged without damaging the wall either.

As it was when we bought the house...

next step to improvement...

The photograph on the end wall is by Australian Alpine photographer  Michael Scott Lees- titled "Entangled in the Mist" (A gift from my husband) 

I am still considering painting my chandelier, so it really "pops", will keep you posted if I decide to go ahead (am I brave enough)?? I have even been eyeing off the sideboard too for a possible colour change (ssshhhhh, dont tell Chris....he would be disgusted hehehehe). Eventually, when we get round to it...we will do the walls a different colour too.

Three of the chairs (seen above and below) I actually found on the side of the road ready for a council pick up....I loved the shape of them and grabbed them straight away (again wish I had a before shot...they were in a yuck state lol) very old, but I think they came up well with a bit of TLC.

Then the other chairs were just our original ones, just changed a little to fit in....plus the upholstery had to go. (Much easier to keep clean now too)

the 3 I found and gave new life to....




Before and after shot of our original "Everyday Living" dining chairs.

We cut them down too, I wanted the dining table to be more of a stand out and feature in the space, so the chairs are more subtle looking now and still compliment the table.

Some close ups below of my beautiful photo canvas, the colours are AMAZING!




2 comments:

  1. Man I love this! Looks so inviting! Dining rooms are pretty special and important hey? We spend so much time in ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutley! we love having a big table too...good for when friends or family are over. The girls actually prefer to eat here too, as opposed to in front of the tv for example, I think its just because we tend to talk more.

    ReplyDelete