Sunday 13 January 2013

kitchen revamp...

Heres our eldest daughter Hayley and I back in 2005!
the kitchen as it was when we bought the house....yeeeek!
So a few pics from our kitchen revamp (as opposed to renovation) to share...Our house is about 40 odd years old now, so the kitchen was well and truely due for a facelift. (Going by the previous paint on the walls it had already seen a couple in its time).

I quite like living in an old house as I find it has loads of character and I find it very rewarding "fixing it up". (Plus its what we could afford at the time). And it definatley helps to be married to a chippy, together I think we make a pretty good team.

We are a single income family so we tried to keep it as simple and affordable as possible, I think we were succesful. All up our kitchen revamp cost only a couple hundred dollars.

 We had always wanted to repaint the cupboards but because they were laminate this made it difficult, so next best thing was textured wallpaper! we picked up a 10m roll from Bunnings for only $29.95 and it turned out to be the perfect amount! It was also easy-peasy to paint, went on SO well and we actually found we only had to do one coat on the face of the cupboards.

I also love the pressed metal look, so painting it in the brushed silver gave it that look too. (Matched up perfectly with the dishwasher)

Anyhoo, heres the pics.....and please bare with me as I find my "blogging feet!!"


Hayles and I last year sometime...



 I quite liked the look of my little blackboard wall, so we decided to continue with the chalkboard paint throughout the whole kitchen.

(Got to love my hubby Chris for "cutting in" for me too! xxx)

Keeping the kitchen in black, white and silver means I can add any colours now or in the future if I want to change again.



Me, easy-peasy rolling on the paint

Hayley was more than willing to help,
she loves getting involved!


 We painted the brown trim along the benchtop in a white gloss to help freshen up the look.







I find endless inspiration and ideas on pinterest, this little drawing is similar to a framed pic I saw from ETSY. (Carol from the childrens book "Where the wild things are").





BEFORE cream and brown....yeeek.

AFTER! much better

9 comments:

  1. This looks great Deahne! I'm a blogger too and will be putting up a post about our dining room 'revamp' in the next few days- just waiting for the darn paint to dry so I can do the final coat! I love looking at other people's creative stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Bec! thanks...I will have to check out your blog! I have so much to add, but takes me ages lol....would love to see what you've done too!

      Delete
    2. btw Bec....how do I find your blog?

      Delete
    3. If you click on my name above, it should take you to a page where you can click on 'Make it funky'. That's my blog! Or there is a link on my facebook page!

      Delete
  2. Love the kitchen, Dee! Using the wallpaper is a great idea! It works so well! I also love the blackboard paint! I've wanted to do that here, but have been hesitant due to the chalk dust... don't think my sinuses would cope! Can't wait to come over and see all your new improvements!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo!, thanks so much, yeah, a complete new kitchen would have been my first choice, but was fun fixing it up ourselves too. I wouldnt worry to much about the chalk dust....I just wipe it off with a damp cloth when I need to change something, and thats not all that often. Your welcome up here anytime! we are overdue for another catchup, maybe we can do coffee here next time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it of course! Glad to see you sharing your beautiful creative talents :-) XXOO
    Plus super inspiring!
    Luv Sah

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one gifted lady. She has two gifted sisters as well, plus, two gifted brothers. Shine on Deahne!

    ReplyDelete