Monday 14 January 2013

The little things...adding colour.


Next step to our kitchen fix up was adding some much needed colour and I LOVE colour! was hard to decide on one particular colour so I went with a few....(colour in your life just makes you feel happy I think).

So I started with a fabric design I liked from Ikea....and went from there.

Now, firstly, I dont have a sewing machine. (I have a basic sewing ability too). So I opted for a "no-sew" approach using an iron-on heming tape from Lincraft.



Once I measured the window and added on extra inch for hemming I then cut an exact size out of basic calico to have for the back of the fabric, just to make it hang nicer and also block out a little more sun (plus it would look nicer from outside of course).

I made a slot at the bottom to add dowel, (which Chris found among loads of things in his shed, he cut it to size for me). Just so it would hang better and be easy to roll up when I wanted to open the blind.
Then a piece of timber was cut to size for the top to attach to the architrave (spelling?) Which I stapled the fabric to.

Added some black ribbon (was hard to decide which colour to go with....) which fell in equal lengths in front and behind blind just so I could simply tie them up once the blind was opened.

Anyhoo, heres the pics of how it turned out. After it was up I could see what colours I wanted to bring out and of course I didnt just settle with one.



finished result.

So, below, the little added things to "pretty up" the kitchen....( that includes my two beautiful daughters Ashley and Hayley.)



Even though I loved my cupcake stand as it was I decided to spray paint it a bright yellow....especially nice for Summertime!

 



 A Miffy (or Nijntje) postcard from Holland from Oma (my Mum) framed in an Ikea frame (2 frames 5x7 size cost under $5....other colours too). On the right is a left over piece of fabric in the red frame. (A castle which we think is fitting considering two little princesses and one little prince do live here).

(And I have a thing for snowflakes....)

So thats pretty much the kitchen, nearly complete...still just have to decide on a colour for the rest of the walls (above the chalkboard paint) and would love to do something with the floor....(not a big fan of the tiles).


plate inspiration, love these colours.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness! You are one clever, inventive photographer, but a real Homemaker with a capital H. Sorry about your not having a sewing machine though, you did choose to have a Queen bed instead when you turned 21.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks "anonymous" hehehe, might find use for one now...

    ReplyDelete