Monday 22 April 2013

Pompom/washi tape deer...

Washi tape border/frame


My latest deer project, made from paper mache....decorated with a pom pom garland to make it fun.

This project is the first time I have used paper mache, again I got the idea from different sites on Pinterest where I am finding endless inspiration and ideas. Was pretty fiddly but I did enjoy the process and besides the girls got to join in and make little projects of their own. Super messy! so we pretty much did it all outside (to save my sanity really hehee).

I used wire for the inside for strength, but without it being to heavy. Was pretty easy to form into shape.

starting out, shaping the wire head and attaching ears.
Paper mache process, with a hook attached at the back ready for hanging.

I did a few layers of the paper, just so it was strong and firm enough, letting it dry well between each layer. The face was the hardest to get into shape, thats for sure. 
Once I attached the antlers (all wire inside as well) I found they dropped abit from the weight of the paper once I started to mold them...my thoughtful husband advised me to try again and so with a little frustration on my part I cut them off to re-attach them in a higher position. I am glad I did in the end, a little extra time/work but worth it. Then two coats of white acrylic paint to finish, nice and neutral.


after cutting off the antlers, wire and all, poor little deer...


Our finished results. The girls "Tom and Jerry". Once Ash realised Hayley was making Tom (orange one of course) she decided to change her bear into Jerry...I think they are pretty cute and they certainly had fun! 
And my pom pom garland can of course be changed or removed (Chris prefers it without them) depending on the colour scheme of where we decide to hang it...still deciding on its home, the girls have put in a request for their room. 

I am thinking of doing a washi tape "frame" around it too, (bright, colourful or patterned tape used for decorating, etc)....when we have found the perfect hanging spot I can decide on the colours to use...good thing about the washi tape trend is that it can easily be removed/repositioned etc. Thats the thing with trends, I cant justify spending alot of money on any product that may not go the distance, thats another reason little projects like this appeal too. 

If you are interested the paper mache recipe I used is below....
Till next time! 
Deahne xo

Paper mache recipe- 1 part flour to 2 parts water 
Stir well in a large bowl untill no lumps, runny NOT thick like paste).
I added a little salt to prevent mold and cinnamon to smell nicer.
The mixture lasts for a couple days in the fridge, just stir again if it seperates. 
Then torn up strips of newspaper, different widths and lengths. Dip in "glue mixture" and mache away!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Deahne,
    You are one creative, adventurous lady. The deer is absolutely amazing. Ten out of ten for perserverance. 10 out of 10 too for one very supportive, encouraging husband and 10 out of 10 for three children who understand your creativity and enjoy participating, cooperating.

    ReplyDelete