Wednesday 6 August 2014

Mighty girls! - Astrid from How to train your Dragon and Marvel's Lady Sif from Thor....plus Toothless the Dragon ;-)

Astrid
Our school is in the middle of its annual book week :) and yesterday we had the book parade! This is a highlight for my girls and I am pretty sure it is with lots of other kiddies too!





Toothless
Lady Sif
This year Hayley (11) decided to go as Lady Sif from the Marvel/Thor comic and Ashley (8) decided on Astrid from the How to train your dragon movies. Yes, well, its a movie and not a book as such, but hey its a great chance to dress up as a favourite character one way or the other....btw I am sure they have made books from the movie too ;-)

Of course we couldnt forget Beau (2) either...so last minute I decided on a little Toothless dragon costume that I found on pinterest :-)

I have to say, the costumes came out better than I thought and if the girls are happy then mission accomplished!

I will start with Beau as Toothless and share the link to the tutorial I used, it was really quite easy...but I did have to improvise a little as it was a night before job...for once I was actually organised and not up all hours trying to pull the costumes together hehe.

 So here is the link firstly-Toothless/dragon costume from the Tried and True blog.

I hand stitched the whole thing (I am not a sewer, trust me...so if I can, you can!)
Her pics will show you how....but heres my finished product on our little Beau....and because its just a black hoodie and tracky pants, sneakers...they are comfy and easy to get around in too. Toddler proof!

Sooooooo cute thankyou Tried and True!


He wasnt going to stand still and pose for me ;-) so these are the best pics I could manage....

And like I said, I did have to improvise a little with what I had on hand. So Daddys old black (and pilly) t-shirt did well for Toothless horns, ears and tail with stuffing from an old stuffed toy ;-)

We painted a $3 thrift shop pair of fairy wings black (well actually Ashley did!)
And the tail part was fabric glued onto cardboard (for stiffness) then tied and glued on to his tail tip.

The tail I just saftey pinned onto the bottom of his hoodie (because obviously cant wash with the cardboard parts) so detachable ;-)

The tutorial uses sunglass lenses (cheapies of course) for his eyes and painted green and black, but I didnt have any on hand so I just stuck some cardboard ones on with velcro, so can be taken off for washing too....pretty cute hey and seriously easy peasy, just a little fiddly.

Heres a pic of Toothless from How to train your Dragon for those who are not familiar with the movie...its a must see for anyone! young and old.




Toothless tail detail
Now for Ash...or should I say "Ashstrid"


Astrid is another character from the same movie and a great one too! so I was happy to oblige when Ashley put in her request....

I did this costume myself, but did have to google some other Astrid costumes on pinterest just to work out how to do her armour on her shoulders...which actually turned out ok.

The girls and I enjoyed sourcing ideas and bits and pieces from our local Spotlight and Lincraft stores....we even managed to pick up our fur and other fabric bits for 40% off (good timing) thankfully.

I only needed 20cm length of the fur, but was fairly wide (sorry I didnt measure) we used it for her shoulder piece, boots and skirt.

Her boots I found at K-mart for $3! (boys ones) just ugg boot style which we glued a length of fur around the top :-)

Her blue leggings ( her own) we stuck some faux leather look fabric on for her knee patches. And the same Faux leather look fabric we cut into strips and folded and fastened with strong tape over an elastic waistband which did up at the back with velcro. Keeping costs down we used little pebbles painted in silver paint for the little studs on her over skirt part. (I recommend super glue as the ordinary wood/craft glue didnt keep them on.)

The small skulls we molded out of styrofoam pieces and used black texta to draw on eyes etc, then glued on.

Leather cord to tie on her arms and some other faux fur (we still had left over from our Gruffalos child costume) turned inside out and tied on with brown shoelaces to hold in place on her arms.

T-shirt we found in school section at K-mart, actually for $1 ! bonus! I cut the collar and sleeves off.

Her head piece is just brown ribbon tied at the back.

I had to safety pin her fur shoulder piece onto her t-shirt because as it was a little heavy it kept falling back. We used cardboard painted silver for the ring at front.

Axe made by Daddy (old curtain rod)




Because she wanted to go as the "racing" Astrid we decided to do her face paint as seen in the movie too.
Her shoulder pieces are cardboard painted silver. I cut 5 strips each a little longer than each other and then stapled in place once bent into shape. We velcro-d it on to her t-shirt when she was wearing it to get them in the right place. Little silver painted pebbles (again superglue is best) on for the stud look.

There you have it!

Now for Lady Sif! from Thor and Thor the Dark World....our Hayley :-)


A mighty warrior goddess....

Hayley wore her own biker leather look leggings, little black ankle boots with her soccer shin pads with black cardboard attached and cut into shape of knee high boots (with velcro so can be removed).

Her skirt we found at k-mart (again :) )$6 we cut slits in front which aren't really visable.

Her armour we found at Toys r us and the most expensive part of her costume for $20. We used a Power ranger costume and spray painted it silver. We added styrofoam round parts (we cut from circles) and painted gold, then a bit of cardboard to make it a little more "Sif" like.
Her shoulders are also cardboard bent into shape and pinned on.

Armour on her forearms are just cardboard painted and attached with stickytape hehehe (cheating here)

Shield $3 from Thrift shop painted silver and Chris (Daddy) made her double edged sword for her from  a broom stick.

We sprayed her hair with black hairspray, used a whole tin, prob could have used more...but it still looked great (she did not want to wear a wig)

And waa laa, there you have it! Happy kids = one happy and satisfied Mummy. :-)

Its a shame there aren't more of these kind of costumes on the market...not easy to find. Its all princesses and fairies these days. But what about our Mighty Girls!!? :-)

Thats all for now, so fun and enjoyable and not to mention rewarding.



bye, Deahne xo


No comments:

Post a Comment